Wednesday

The Unborn


Approximately 126,000 abortions are performed worldwide each day
Approximately 46 million abortions are performed worldwide each year

I think it is easy to become defensive to religious, or other "pro-life" organizations, when debating various issues regarding the unborn (or now, recently born). As a "pro-life" supporter, I would like to be given the chance to explain what I believe, hence the quotations around pro-life.

I am supportive of the life of the conceived, in the same way I am for the life of an adult. I am for choice, in the same way I am for free-will and the assuming of responsibility when the wrong choice is made.

So what is the wrong choice? Well let me begin that discussion with another question, why is murder wrong? Granted, most people do not equate abortion with murder, so I think this is where the conversation must start.

I will define murder as the premeditated ending of the life of one human being, by another. What is life? If it is full maturity, then can you honestly say the punishment for homicide should not be applied to all tweens who does not meet this arbitrary standard? If it is dependency, can you honestly say a set of full grown conjoined twins do not have the right to continue living, or one of them does not? If it is when they are recognizable as human, lets take the issue back to day 70 after conception when they have a recognizable face, or day 45 when they have identifiable arms and legs. But then what of full grown mature adults who have been involved in tragic events leaving them unrecognizable? If it is mental function, then lets take the issue back to day 40 when brain waves are detected. What about people who develop Alzheimers? If it is a hearbeat, then lets take the issue back to day 30 when the heart starts beating. But what of those people who have heart attacks, why help them? Is is uniqueness, provided that on the day of conception all 46 chromosomes are present - does one of identical twins no longer have the right to live?

The majority of abortions are preformed between the seventh and tenth weeks.

If we can agree on the fact that at conception, that the embryo is in fact a person, can the argument still be made that it is solely the mother's body in question?  

"The fact that restricting access to abortion has tragic side effects does not, in itself, show that the restrictions are unjustified, since murder is wrong regardless of the consequences of prohibiting it.
The appeal to the right to control one's body, which is generally construed as a property right, is at best a rather feeble argument for the permissibility of abortion. Mere ownership does not give me the right to kill innocent people whom I find on my property, and indeed I am apt to be held responsible if such people injure themselves while on my property. It is equally unclear that I have any moral right to expel an innocent person from my property whenI know that doing so will result in his death." Mary Anne Warren


Before addressing why abortion inducing drugs (which are not in fact contraceptives) should be provided or not, I really am curious the easy availability of them is pushed before the information regarding the whole truth about them. In an article published on March 19th, a congresswoman explained that providing did not equal promoting. I would agree that it does not directly equal promoting, but if definitly does not promote accountability. If these  abortion inducing drugs are available in vending machines, or any method which does not require any level of informedness, how is that not: the promotion of ignorant abortions? Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that the mere knowledge that women are lacking could potentially solve so much of the problem.

“I was horrified that the ‘products of conception’ and ‘tissue’ I had ‘removed from my uterus’ had had precious little hands and feet and a beating heart,” she said. “I felt like a monster. And I felt betrayed by the medical professionals I had trusted.” - Lisa Skowron


In a previous post I referenced an article which pointed out that narrowing the scope of personhood leads to tyranny and suffering as we saw in the Roman Empire, American slavery, and Nazi programs.

I would really like to not be labelled as a conspiracy theorist, but more so I do not want to be ignorant. Even more so I do not want to leave this kind of a place to my children, if in fact it is through someone the Lord wants to do something.

"Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them." Psalm 139:16

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”
Jeremiah 1:5

  "If men fight, and hurt a woman with child, so that she gives birth prematurely, yet no harm follows, he shall surely be punished accordingly as the woman’s husband imposes on him;
and he shall pay as the judges determine.
But if any harm follows, then you shall give life for life"
Exodus 21:22-23

No comments: