Thursday

Mere Christianity

Love this book. First one that helped my to atriculate all of the Truths I believed. It is probably the first book I suggest to people for a good read, or for apologetics. So GET IT

* The name Christians was first given to Antioch (Acts 11:26) to 'the disciples', to those who accepted the teaching of the apostles. {Can we please start using this in the proper sense? No more of this "I'm a Christian because I go to Church with my parents" and "I hate those Christians we do this in that" when those things aren't of Christian doctrine.}

Lewis starts from a completely objective point of view, and addresses some of the questions we wrestle with as humans. He helps to show, from each of these questions presented, what the actual truth is.

Most of the time, these truths leads to other questions, but there is now a foundation to work with. He logically builds truth on top of truth. He presents the answers that Christianity offers, as well as speaking from the other points of view of what else is offered. He helps us to see the contradictions and empty arguments.

Now when I say truth, I am of course referring to an absolute truth, which I think it sad that the distinction should be made. Be definition, a truth is an absolute truth, anything not absolute is merely a perspective.  There is no "my truth verses your truth"

I have found that some approach Christianity, is if it were on a list of religions to choose from. This idea that there is no absolute truth, and as long as you choose (and I would argue "not-choosing" is choosing a religion in and of itself, more on this later) one of them, who is to say you're wrong?

A simple quote from his book which I love "... as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature."



What are your thoughts? Does this resonate with you?





No comments: