Thursday

But, why?

I was in Q&A session with a Muslim man who had converted from Islam to Christianity. When  someone asked him about his family, he got choked up as he explained they still go months at a time without speaking. He simply explained that he was not going to be the one to lead his parents to Christianity, but that it would be us (as he pointed to the audience).

I would venture to think that some of us can relate to having someone in our life that will not hear truth from us, I would hope that we could encourage each other and tag team this one. Why do I think evangelizing is important? For the same reason I desperately want the ones I love to experience freedom.

"It never dawned on these people that my pain was a very real cry to be whole, to be well. A 15-year old crying out for love, and getting instead an empty excuse for healing, empty words that said, 'there are no absolutes,' 'lose your inhibition,' 'experiment with your sexuality.' Think about it...at fifteen, confused and alone, what effect would those words have?...You see, I was one of those children... And I am one of the lucky ones...I got out alive."
Jeff (Open Letter from a Survivor)

Have we ever stopped to ponder the possibility that someone might actually want and desire to hear the truth of complete love and freedom and life? Do we believe this is where the Bible leads? How can we keep this to ourself? Do we keep awesome Groupons to ourself? Do we keep free concerts to ourself? Do we keep funny youtube videos to ourself?

"To [one side] He says, He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.' And to [the other] 'If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.' To all of us, He says, 'If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross.'" - Janey Cheaney

2 comments:

GranAnne said...

Cause isnt it easier to just tell ourselves that 'they won't listen to me!!!!' I convince myself that I'd be casting pearls before swine....then I dont have to put myself in uncomfortable situation.....sad, but true oftentimes for me :-(

Molly said...

Or that somehow we have morphed the meaning of love in our minds...from encouraging in Godliness > tolerance. I am not saying Jesus did not accept others, but He certainly did not accept their sin.