Tuesday

More Like Falling in Love

Give me rules
I will break them
Give me lines
I will cross them

I need more than a truth to believe
I need a truth that lives, moves, and breathes

Give me words
I'll misuse them
Obligations
I'll misplace them 



'Cause all religion ever made of me
Was just a sinner with a stone tied to my feet

It never set me free
It's gotta be
More like falling in love
Than something to believe in
More like losing my heart
Than giving my allegiance

In more than a name, a faith, a creed
Falling in love with Jesus brought the change in me


Love these lyrics from Jason Gray's song More Like Falling in Love.

We all have (some more than others) rolled our eyes when listening to the Christian radio staion, it can be a little cheesy. The other day I was driving (what I do when I'm restless but have a semi-broken toe so can't run: i.e. don't feel like running), and was really paying attention to these words.

I had just had a conversation with someone, which honestly broke my heart. This idea that people view Christianity as a check list of "ought tos" and not a relationship with Jesus. They see a bunch of tests from God, rather then Him revealing His best intentions for us.

Love that last line, "falling in love with Jesus brought the change in me".

This is such a challenge I find myself facing, conveying that the change inside of me is not the result of rules. We need to be calling others to fall in love with Jesus, and to not be preaching a religion that simply exposes sinners and leaves them with  "a stone tied to their feet".





No comments: